GMix reports no mixer devices

Hi,
I am trying to set up sound. I had it going at one point but that was
some time ago. I have sound compiled into the kernel (via82c686 audio
codec for my Asus K7V board) but still get the 'no mixer devices'
error from GMix. When I do a 'play something.wav' I get no sound but
the system behaves like it is playing (the prompt returns at the
approx right time). I seem to have no /dev/snd (or similar) directory.
Do I need to create this manually (if so how)? Any other suggestions
on how to track this down ?

Jens