Re: GMix reports no mixer devices

Hello Jens,

I've just had this problem, following a crash.  Sound on my system had
been working fine (es1371 compiled into the kernel and using esound)
until I got a complete system hang and had to hard reset.  On re-boot a
lot of errors were found on my /usr partition and I had to manually fsck
it, and lots of stuff got trashed.  As there was only /usr on that
partition I removed all the non-essential packages (but left the
configs, as /etc is on a different partition) and re-installed them.

This fixed all the other problems and I had sound, of a sort - it was
almost inaudiable and I still got 'no mixer devices' when I tried
starting gmix.

I then updated an old potato installation I've got on the system,
bringing it up to the current sid, and I got the same there.  Hmm...

This all took a few evenings of work.

This morning it (finally) occurred to me to try reverting the
gnome-audio and gnome-media packages to older versions, and it finally
turned out that if I reverted to gnome-media 1.2.0-2 (an earlier version
I had in /var/cache/apt/archives - I keep them for this purpose and tidy
them manually, every now and then) gmix worked, and sound is now ok.

It appears then, that gnome-media 1.2.0-5 may be broken and I just
hadn't called gmix since updating it.

When I get on-line I'll have a look a the bug list and report it, if
necessary.

In hind sight, an awful lot of unnecessary work, but it was good
practice;-)

I look forward to the inclusion of reversion in dpkg:-)

LeeE