Re: Printing with dvips (print too close to top of page)

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 11:03:43PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> on Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 10:22:33PM -0800, Keith Johnson (keith@mindportal.net) wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am using debian potato and am trying to print a document generated
> > by latex. Problem is, the print starts right at the top of the page
> > (no margin) and leaves a two inch margin at the bottom of the page
> > (should be one).
> >
> > I have no idea where to even look for a solution. Is it in dvips, latex, lprng, magicfilters, printcap?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Keith Johnson
>
> First, post your GPG public key to a public keyserver such as
> pgp.ai.mit.edu.  Makes you signature more useful.

Already did to keyserver.org (or something like that ). The instructions on the site said it would take a while to propogate my public key to the rest of public servers. I'll send one to pgp.ai.mit.edu just to be sure though.

> What's the document look like in preview -- say, gv?  Are other
> documents printed to the same device offset?

Looks great in gv, xdvi and acroread (for pdfs), When printing
Acroread offsets the text down and to the right (looks like a4
papersize being used, but I am explicitly asking for letter).  Dvips
ofsets it to towards the top.

I've started mucking with apsfilter. At the moment, nothing works
(sigh), but I did save my printcap before mucking, so I can go back to
what I had.

> I'd tend to suspect LaTeX, myself.  It's a typesetting system, and the
> margin specified there should be the one used in hardcopy.

In latex I use /documentclass[12pt, letterpaper]{whateverclass}