Re: pdf editor ?

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 01:30:58PM +1100, John Griffiths wrote:
> >> Also ps2pdf is pretty disapointing in comparison to acrobat
> >> distiller, mainly because of the font support and acrobat's
> >> freedom to use the encumbered LZW compression algorithm.
> >
> >The font support of ps2pdf can be fixed by upgrading to the
> >latest gs-aladdin in unstable (or any Ghostscript > 6.0).  If
> >you run Potato (like me), you can always download the sources
> >and compile it yourself.
>
> ok... thats interesting.. and the compression? one of PDF's
> selling points is the size is comparable to ASCII and yet it
> has pix...

something similar to MIME encoding, i'd say. once you get the
postscript output, you can gzip it up, and unzip it on-the-fly.

at least i can conceive that it'd work that way, without much
trouble -- kinda like zless, but with fancier results.

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com
http://newbieDoc.sourceforge.net/ -- we need your brain!