Re: can potato handle USB and cable modem?

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 12:07:00AM +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 04:24:51PM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 04:21:02PM +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> > > Not with a roadrunner, but apart from that it's pretty standard.
> >
> > <waaay too much information. just kidding.>
>
> lol, I know, but...
>
> He didn't tell what kinda NIC he had, what version he is running, no
> hint to how much he knows etc, making it hard to be more informative.
> I know I should have asked for more info, but he I had a bad day and
> I thought he would come back for more if he needed:)

glad to see you've got a sense of humor about it...

	"the only difference between an ordeal and an adventure --
	is your attitude."

and i just tested that on my 'flight' back from rochester, ny...  :)

> > meaning,
> >
> > 	<edit /etc/network/interfaces to taste>
> > 	ifup -a
> > 	<ping hither and yon, to test>
> > 	apt-get install ipmasq
>
> See, if he doesn't know how to setup his NIC in the first place
> (modules etc) this won't help him either. Besides, does he know
> what info to put in /etc/network/interfaces?  So I really should
> have asked for more info, would have been more polite anyway.

you have a point -- but i like to think of it from the panicked
newbie point of view (not that *I* have ever actually BEEN there,
or anything) and try to drop some useful tidbits that might not
have come across the newbie's radar yet. doesn't hurt to mention
a readline feature or apt-get shortcut now and then... i've
gotten lots of commentary along the lines of "holy cow, i wish
i'd known that last week..." just from some side-comment in a post
about something else entirely.

i've been linuxing for Darn Near One Year now and it's only now
finally beginning to sink in to my skull, where to go and how to
go about looking for info, programs, options, features and
methods for various things i'm trying to accomplish with my box.

here in southern indiana -- Linux Desert, we call it -- i don't
have a guru over whose shoulder i can glean scraps of
information. damn, damn, damn!  all i've got <sob> is faceless
folks like the ones on this list. don't you feel special?

and so when i can help (or think i can help, which may be
entirely different :) i jump in with both feet, even when my SQL
project is waaay behind schedule...

--
http://newbieDoc.sourceforge.net/