inews (potato) BROKEN after dist-upgrade!

a question about INEWS from russia, with love--

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 03:10:54AM +0600, ivan demakov wrote:
> it's a misterious.
> i ask my question in a some forums and get no answers.
> and i see other peoples that ask the same.  silence.

hi, ivan! we try to make as much noise as possible, here. :)

> some day i install potato from my cd's.
> and i install inn and inews.  all fine and all work.  was.
> and some day i upgrade my potato.
>
> only 'apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade', nothing else.
>
> my '/etc/apt/source.list':
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

okay, you're using "stable" so things should go smoothly for the
most part. "dist-upgrade" is almost the same as "upgrade" in most
instances; when you switch from distribution "slink", for
example, to distribution "potato", the dist-upgrade will actually
scan your /var/apt/* stuff for packages that aren't available in
your currently-chosen distribution, and REMOVE them. if you've
been in potato/stable all along, then dist-upgrade is the same as
upgrade (from what i can tell -- tho it still looks for orphaned
packages to zap).

did you 'dist-upgrade' from slink?

> inn and inews was upgraded.
>
> inn continues to work.  i can read news, i can send news (i use gnus to do such).
> but wnen i want to submit article with inews, i can't.
>
> ivan@ive interp$ (echo "From: root@localhost"; echo "Newsgroups: local.general";
>  echo "Subject: test"; echo ""; echo "test" ) | /usr/bin/inews -S -h
> Can't get list of newsgroups, Invalid argument.
> (Article not posted.)
> ivan@ive interp$
>
> maybe i do wrong, but anyone can help me?

i doubt it, but there's always that chance! :)

if you upgraded from slink to potato ( Also Known As "stable" for
the time being ) there may be some odd hook or kludge somewhere
that's snuck past the watchful eyes of the package maintainers.
but there's probably simpler reasons...

i'll step aside hoping that someone who knows INEWS better than i
(meaning "not at all") might step in and give some pointers.

anybody have trouble with, or can share how to get around snags
in, a potato "INEWS" package?

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com
http://newbieDoc.sourceforge.net/ -- we need your brain!