boot problem after kernel compile

Hello,

I've just finished recompiling the kernel for the first time ever. Unfortunately, I've probably done something wrong, because I can't reboot the system. The story goes like this: When I tried booting my new kernel everything seemed to be going well, at first. The kernel was uncompressed successfully and drivers were starting to get loaded. Somewhere along the line, though, the boot process suddenly entered an endless loop of
"kmod failed to execute .../modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c. error 8" messages.
I figured there was a problem in my module dependency database, and rebooted the system SUCCESSFULLY using the OLD kernel. I then proceeded to run "make modules", "make modules_install", and "depmod -a". I then tried to reboot the system using the new kernel with the new module dependencies, and got the same message. After that, when I tried booting the old kernel the system crashed giving the error message:
"Code: Bad EIP value"
"Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer deference at virtual address."
along with a register and stack dump, which I can't understand.

I now can't boot the system from either kernel. Not even in single-user mode.
Unfortunately, I never made a rescue disk with a root partition on it, and have no way of getting one.

I've pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to reinstall, but I would like to know what I did wrong so as not to make the same mistake again in the future.

TIA for any advice/information

Gil Elad