Workaround: Re: xset problem -- dpms keeps shutting off

on Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 01:00:50AM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> Debian/Sid, x86.
>
> After a system update yesterday, I noticed:
>
>   - A new splash screen for xscreensaver.
>   - xset dpms keeps getting shut off.
>
> My monitor doesn't automatically blank, stand-by, and shut off.  If I
> force dpms back on and a monitor shutoff, the monitor comes back on some
> time later.
>
> E.g.:
>
>     $ xset +dpms
>     $ xset dpms 600 900 1200
>     $ xset dpms force off
>     <monitor blanks>
>
> Later:
>
>     $ xset -q

<...>

>     DPMS (Energy Star):
>       Standby: 10    Suspend: 10    Off: 10
>       DPMS is Disabled

I believe I've tracked down the problem.  I've filed a bug report with a
workaround for the xscreensaver package.

The problem is that the latest update of xscreensaver includes DPMS
configuration management, independently (and overriding) xset configs.

The current workaround is to run

    $ xscreensaver-command -prefs

...and specify DPMS power management features through it.

I've found that xscreensaver-command is sensitive to the content of
~/.xscreensaver, you may find you need to delete your existing file (in
my case, the 'flame' screensave hack was the specific problem).

The deeper bug is that xscreensaver insists on overwriting DPMS settings
even when they're explicitly set by another program.  This is a bug.
It's also undocumented -- the manpage doesn't list this feature.