compiling kernel modules [fixed]

Ok, I managed to compile the kernel module successfully.

/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.headers file was the starting point
to understanding. The file contains a hint about using -I to compile
against the exact kernel headers required. I also had to use the
-nostdinc flag to gcc, and add other paths to the -I list in the
Makefile as I discovered them missing. (Missing as a result of
-nostdinc.)

In the end, it wasn't as easy as I had hoped, but at least I managed to
work out the problem. The worst part is how long it takes to generate
the kernel-{source,headers,docs,binary} packages -- I need a faster
machine.

Here's hoping someone else is saved the few hours it took me to find the
Right Answer to the problem. :)

--
Earthlink: The #1 provider of unsolicited bulk email to the Internet.