Re: question about using groff to format ASCII text

on Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 09:55:15AM -0800, idalton@ferret.phonewave.net (idalton@ferret.phonewave.net) wrote:

> I need to convert an ASCII text document to dvi, and I need to make the
> finished document double spaced with 12-point font. I need to do so
> without embedding any formatting directives in the ASCII document.
>
> The man pages and documentation for troff and groff (which I would like
> to use) are not very helpful in this respect.

You need to mark-up a document without adding any markup to the
document.  Tough spec.

Following may get you close, though it runs straight to ps, not dvi:

    sed -e 'G' < doc | pr | mpage -FCourier > doc.ps

Otherwise, I'd recommend a LaTeX processor which would adapt an
appropriately formatted plain ASCII document without modifying the
original text itself.

Cheers.