kde virus-like menu masher

Debianites,

Half the attraction of debian is the menu-update system which is activated
by apt-get or relatives.

I've been happily working away and using either WindowMaker Afterstep or E,
mainly WindowMaker. On another machine I installed kde (kdebase_4%3a2.0.1-4)
last December, and had no probs. Liked konqueror.

Yesterday I put (on the main machine) kdebase 4:2.1.0.1-5 and other k packages.

I found it to be very intrusive, rather like a M$ product. It took over my
desktop immediately without giving me the option of changing to it. Then it
rewrote my menus, apparently overriding the menu-update script, such that only
k-* programs appeared in the menus. I restarted X back into WindowMaker and found I only had half a dozen options in the menu. I apt-got something to activate
the menu-update thingy, (which I thought was supposed to find everything with a
menu file) but still only had the k-approved items and the new one.

Since then I've purged all kstuff, but the menus are no better.

I've been rewriting /etc/X11/WindowMaker/menu.hook _manually_, but I need to
keep a copy of it because any further installs wipe it out and substitute the
kversion of the menus.

I've looked at the man pages for update-menus and menufile and read the
/usr/doc/menu/html tutorial, but can't find the answer. Something seems to be
overriding the system.

I guess I can apt-get something, then use 'find' to see what's been moodified
in the last 2 minutes and check that way.

Sorry for the long ramble.

Give kde the miss.

Nick