on upgrading to testing

James D. Freels writes:

 > 1) bite the bullet and upgrade to 'testing' and install the kde 2.1
 > packages that have anti-aliasing capability compiled in, or

I came to the belief one debian release ago that the best place to be
was as close as possible to the majority of the developers.  This
explains the following:

# cat /etc/debian_version
testing/unstable
#

 > I really would rather go with option 1.  My only concern is the
 > stability, etc.  What has been the experience of those who are now
 > running 'testing' ??

There have been some issues.  Bugs crop up.  I can't remember the last
bug which actually caused me grief.  I think it must have been the
libfreetype6 one for AA fonts in KDE.  But I have been running non-AA
KDE for months now.  I am currently having a problem with xlibs not
getting installed, but it isn't hosing my system.

I think (hope?) that the days of "broken bash", and "no more /dev" are
over.  I will only use Debian unstable from now on.  Any other Debian
becomes more and more unmaintained as time passes.  I can't deal with
that.  This is my work laptop, and even though it _must_ work all the
time, I am quite fine with testing/unstable.

rob