on upgrading to testing

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I am not currently subscribing to the list(s).  I
am looking for an honest opinion.  I currently am a Debian 2.2.r2 (with
several extensions) user.  Because of several circumstances among which are:

1) I manually installed Xfree86-4.0.2 over the stable version to get access
to the 3D capabilities--running fine

2) I installed KDE2.1 from Ivan via his potato archives at
kde.tdyc.com--running fine

3) kde.tdyc.com is now gone so Ivan has no where to upgrade that tree for us
stable users--Ivan has gone far and beyond what most people would have put up
with this. I could live with, but for a desire to keep kde 2.1 bug-fixes
current via apt-get.

4) I just found out over the web how to use anti-aliasing fonts under kde 2.1
and I would very much like to do that--neat stuff!!

5) I have everything I need to use the anti-aliasing features except the
potato version of kde2.1 is not compiled to handle it.-- :-(  I understand
though!

So, to get what I want, I can either

1) bite the bullet and upgrade to 'testing' and install the kde 2.1 packages
that have anti-aliasing capability compiled in, or

2) try to build the kde 2.1 packages from source like some have done

I really would rather go with option 1.  My only concern is the stability,
etc.  What has been the experience of those who are now running 'testing' ??

And I will listen.  Please e-mail responses directly if possible.

Thanks...

P.S. do I need 'testing' or 'unstable' ?  If 'unstable', I will hold.

--
James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory