Re: Linux Network Security: POP

> > > check to see if they have the imap-ssl port open (i don't know it
> > > offhand) or the pop3-ssl...  they probably don't.
> >
> > yatsu:$  nmap -sS  pop.provider.nl
>
> ummm some isps don't take kindly to being portscanned, there is more
> subtle and less obnoxious ways to find out.

oops, acting out of ignorance I'm afraid..

> > Port       State       Service
> > 22/tcp     open        ssh
> > 23/tcp     open        telnet
> > 25/tcp     open        smtp
> > 110/tcp    open        pop-3
> > 111/tcp    open        sunrpc
> > 113/tcp    open        auth
> > 587/tcp    open        submission
> > 995/tcp    open        pop3s
> > 1023/tcp   open        unknown
> >
> > could pop3s be what i'm looking for?
>
> yes:
>
> [eb@socrates eb]$ cat /etc/services | grep pop3s
> pop3s           995/tcp                         # POP-3 over SSL
> pop3s           995/udp                         # POP-3 over SSL
> [eb@socrates eb]$

having taken a quick look at my providers homepage (which, i admit i should
have done first.. but i'm used to ISP pages with nothing but marketing talk)
i found something on pop-ssl. However aparently i need an email client that
supports it. I use Kmail, but.. it doesnt seem to support ssl. Can someone
confirm this? If I can't use Kmail for it which email client should be well
suited? I've tried Elm but I found it too hard to use. I've considered using
Pine but it doesn't seem to be in sid.