Re: Linux Network Security: POP

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 05:04:02PM +0100, William Leese wrote:

> knowing basically nothing about imap and ssl where would i look first to see
> if this is suitable and how it can be used?

check to see if they have the imap-ssl port open (i don't know it
offhand) or the pop3-ssl...  they probably don't.

> the connection is pretty solid, however i'm going to have to switch ISPs in a
> month (same cable network, different service provider), and I've heard they
> are far less reliable. I'm forced to switch providers because this one, will
> stop its consumer services in May.

probably to comply with the Suck Law, where every ISP must suck donkey
balls.

> I doubt I do, there was nothing mentioned of this when i signed up. Also,
> same problem as above, I have no clue what the change of providers will bring.
>
> This leaves imap over ssl, can this always be done regardless of what
> services my ISP provides?

no they must cooperate, which means your screwed.  i recommend running
your own mailserver or getting a host to do it.  most isps can't seem
to route mail worth a damn anyway.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/