Re: Quality free VCD/DVD player?

On Monday 19 March 2001 06:34, Eray 'exa' Ozkural wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, csj wrote:
> > You didn't say why you weren't impressed. But I know of only one
> > Loki's smpeg-plaympeg and it only plays VCDs.
>
> I wasn't because none of them were able to playback a simple
> commercial VCD. It's a copy of Lain, a popular anime. The only
> program that didn't crash was MTV. Sad day for free software :( And
> MTV didn't work in full screen mode.
>
> I didn't try out smpeg-plaympeg but interfaces to smpeg did crash.
> I looked at mpegorion, xine and a norton vcd, well something like
> that. Anyway, I didn't catch one that is as good as MTV yet.
>
> I have to use windows now to watch this VCD.
>
> Any one of you had the chance to try out oms?

Well, the said package has the barebones plaympeg package. The
Mandrake/Redhat equivalent of the package even allows me to watch
VCDs without X. The only command I use is

plaympeg /dev/cdrom

And yes, plaympeg does work in full-screen mode. That's

plaympeg --fullscreen --scale 800x600

The --scale parameter depends on your screen resolution. The only
times plaympeg actually craps out on me is when my CDROM makes funny
noises. And that's most likely a read error.

Also plaympeg sometimes "locks" me out of my X session. To avoid a
hard reboot I have to play the VCD to the very end. (A similar
problem plagues my timidity installation.)

For watching anime (with their lower frames per sec), plaympeg works
just fine. It appears a bit jerky with live action stuff. Speaking of
anime: I have tested with episodes of Dragonball Z, Ray Earth and the
movie Ghost in the Shell.