Re: ntpdate, /etc/timezone et all.

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:38:07 -0500 (EST)
"Stan Brown" <stanb@awod.com> wrote:

> 	OK, I'm totaly confused. There are 3 things involved here, as I see it. The
> 	hardware clock, which should be set to UTC. The kernels view of time, which
> 	should be the same as the hardware clock modified by the value of
> 	/etc/timezone, and the "user" view of time which should be UTC modifiedby
> 	whatever they have set TZ to, or if they have not set it, modified by what's in
> 	/etc/timezone.
>
> 	Have I got that correct?
>
> 	If so why does my machine think it's 1 oclock tomorow morning? It's really
> 	about 18:30 EST.
>
> 	Please explain what I'm looking at wrong here.

I'm not really sure to understand more than you, but I think that
there are only two time counts: that of the BIOS and that of the
kernel; what the user sees is actually just a display; you could
change it in each terminal or window just be setting an environment
variable, but nobody is counting seconds using an offset. The only
thing I still think might help you is the fact that I have a file
/etc/localtime which is actually a link to the corresponding time
zone. Try this one:

	# cd /etc
	# rm -f localtime
	# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern

If I hide this link, the system responds in UTC even if the file
/etc/timezone is correct.

HTH.

--
Christoph Simon