Re: ntpdate, /etc/timezone et all.

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 03:07:55PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Sun Mar 18 12:40:10 2001 Carel Fellinger wrote...
> >Not sure, but are you applying that offset yourself?  If so, are you
> >aware that "hwclock --show" always shows the *local* time?  Anyhow,
> >what's the content of /etc/adjtime? On my machine it has a line saying:
> >

> 	/etc/adjtime does have a line whose contents are UTC. And /etc/timezone
> 	has US/Eastern in it. Acording to my reconicking UTC ast I write this should be
> 	Sun Mar 18 20:05:59 GMT 2001, that's Sun Mar 18 15:06:27 EST 2001, in the US's
> 	Eastern time zone. hwclock --show shows 22:59 .

I'm no time expert, just thinking that maybe al is swell afterall.
So could you post the outcome of the following commands?

   # date && hwclock --show

Both should show the same time. You see hwclock doesn't show utc time,
but local time (sorry if this was clear to you, but I somehow have the
feeling that you are still doing some calculation yourself. Bytheway,
the times you mention above don't make sense to me, I thought US/Eastern
was a whole number of hours from utc, the minutes should stay the same)

The other thing that could interfere is if you've set the TZ environment
variable.

--
groetjes, carel