server side includes - Apache - Debian Potato

Hello,
I'm clear that I'm doing something wrong, I just don't know what that is. I'm trying to get server side includes to work.

In the srm.conf file I have uncommented out the lines:
AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

I made a file called .htacces in the root directory of the web site with the statement: Options +Includes. I also tried adding the Options statement in the httpd.conf file with the same result.

When I try to get a simple date displayed with:
<!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" --> directive I get the following error message:

[Sat Mar 17 22:59:00 2001] [warn] [client 63.228.74.213] handler "server-parsed" not found
 for: /etc/apache/mikeshome.com/index.shtml (This is the correct path for the domains root and the page with the SSI statement)

If I re comment the lines (below) than I get no log message so I know it sees the AddHandler statement.
AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

I think it is some kind of path problem. The server-parsed statement is being applied to the web site.
I've read the Apache docs and the things it says to do, to get SSI to work, is what is outlined in the example above

Thanks,
Mike