Re: v4 x screen size and flicker

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> writes:
> Probably the new install wiped away your old settings, so it's now
> picking the first listed choice, or something like that.  Try editing
> your configuration file, comparing with your old one if possible.

  Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

  My new config file has the same entries for HorizSync and
  VertRefresh, namely:

    HorizSync   27 - 79
    VertRefresh 55 - 90

  These values are from the manual. Note that this is an *old*
  monitor--I bought it used in '94--so the refresh rates are lower
  than your (probably) newer and smaller monitors.

  So, is this a bug in X v4? These values, or the Modelines, in v3
  were able to produce a pleasing 74 Hz, whereas v4 can only pull an
  Excedrin-downing 60 Hz.

  Is it possible there is an off-by-one error somewhere? How much
  trouble could I get into by fudging these numbers up a little? If
  so, how high would you go?

  I'm also curious why the x v4 config (when running dpkg-reconfigure
  xserver-xfree86) doesn't offer a 1280x1024 resolution on the screen
  where you select the resolutions you want to see. Could that
  observation be related? Hmmm, rerunning dpkg-reconfigure doesn't
  write the XF86Config-4 file...

  p.s. I learned a lot about my monitor today. It turns out adjusting
  the size only affects the current resolution, so I was able to get
  rid of those margins--in all resolutions--with the monitor
  adjustments. I'm feeling a little silly that I haven't tried this
  before in the 7 years that I've had this monitor. I just figured I'd
  get it right for 1280x1024 and leave it alone.

  So that just leaves the refresh rate.

Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!