Re: v4 x screen size and flicker

I have a G200 and NEC XV17. It works quite well, but I used the windows settings to guide my X settings.

I see the mga_h1 error too, though no ill effects (unless this is responsible for overlay mode not working). I filed a bug about it (87504) which was reported upstream.

Probably the new install wiped away your old settings, so it's now picking the first listed choice, or something like that. Try editing your configuration file, comparing with your old one if possible.

At 03:14 PM 3/17/01 -0800, Eric G. Miller wrote:
On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 12:10:51PM -0800, Bill Wohler wrote:
>   I just upgraded to X v4 (woody) and selected the mga driver for my
>   Matrox Millenium G200. I have an NEC MultiSync 6FG (21") monitor. I
>   now have two problems:
>
>     1. Large margins around the screen.
>     2. Incredible flicker.
>
>   At 1280x1024, there is now a large margin around the screen: 1 cm
>   top and bottom, 2 cm right and left. xvidtune can't make it bigger.
>   Is xvidtune still used in v4 (since I noticed that the mode lines
>   are cheerfully no longer in the configuration) or is there a newer
>   tool that I can use to adjust the size? I don't really want to
>   adjust the monitor size (much) since the size was perfect under v3
>   and the size in the console is fine.
>
>   Also note that my 1024x768 screen is also small; however, my 800x600
>   screen extends past the edges of the monitor.
>
>   Also, there is now noticeable flicker which is giving me quite a
>   headache. I've used the same horizontal and vertical refresh rates
>   that were present in v3, but I see in the log below that I'm only
>   pulling 60 Hz, rather than 75 or higher. Suggestions?
>
>   I also noted that mga_hal failed to load. Is this a problem?
>
>   Are there any other tools besides SuperProbe that can be used to
>   debug/adjust these things?
>
>   Thanks for any help you all can provide.
>
>   Here's the log:

[snip]
> (==) MGA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
> (==) MGA(0): Min pixel clock is 12 MHz
> (==) MGA(0): Max pixel clock is 250 MHz
> (II) MGA(0): NEC MultiSync 6FG: Using hsync range of 27.00-79.00 kHz
> (II) MGA(0): NEC MultiSync 6FG: Using vrefresh range of 55.00-90.00 Hz

Looks like X thinks your monitor isn't fast enough.  You can set the
monitor info in /etc/X11/XF86Config.  You'll have to find out if your
monitor will support higher ranges.  For instance, my 17" monitor
supports these:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync       30-95
        VertRefresh     50-180
EndSection

Notice the upper end of the ranges are substantially higher. So with
same video card, but different monitor settings, I can get up to:
1600x1200@75Hz (which is way too high [small] for my tastes).  If it
supported higher ranges before, it will support them again.

Note: I don't know what that mga_hal is about (maybe for a different
Matrox card...).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>