Re: Locked up X-windows

I had a similar problem when I recently installed Debian for my first
time. The source of the problem in my case was the XF86Config file
pointing to /dev/mouse and there being no such file.  During the install
I believe there is a section where you can chose the mouse protocol as
PS/2. The device special file /dev/psaux seems to be the result.

The fix for me was to edit the XF86Config file, changing the line
/dev/mouse to /dev/psaux.  You could also link the /dev/psaux to
/dev/mouse.

The XF86Config file is located in /etc/X11. When you do boot the
machine, and X fails to start, you should be left in console mode. I
used vi to edit the file.

If you must be in a graphical environment right away, use the link
method, e.g. "ln -s /dev/psaux /dev/mouse".

Search on recent entries in this mailing list to see considerations
related to editing the config file v. linking.

Good luck,
Barry