Locked up X-windows

Hello all.

I locked up X-Windows.  I had run Red Hat 6.0 on a PC for about a year, and
the install was no problem.  I decided to go to debian and the install was
fine, but X-Windows would not run, and it failed because the /dev/mouse file
did not exist.  I just created a blank /dev/mouse file to see if X would run
without a mouse and thus locked up my system.

X-Windows is set to load by default?  I made the Linux boot diskette.  How
can I stop X-Windows from starting by default so I can remove my mouse file.

Also what do I need for the /dev/mouse file?  I just have a regular IBM
2-button PS/2 mouse.

Thanks.

Feel free to e-mail me directly.

Lawrence