Re: Getting rid of portmap

dpkg -S portmap will tell you that portmap is included in the netbase package.

If you need other contents of netbase,

> Question --> what is the best approach to stop
> portmap from running on a Debian system?

If you are hesitant to remove the symlink, edit the portmap script and put
an exit as the second line.

Corwin J. Grey
Techline, Inc.
http://www.techline.com
Engineering and Application Development
"What does this tell me?  That if Microsoft were the last software
company left in the world, 13% of the US population would be scouring
garage sales & Goodwill for old TRS-80s, CPM machines & Apple ]['s before
they would buy Microsoft. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement."
        -- Seen on Slashdot