Re: Debian with read-only /usr

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 11:07:27AM -0600, Carl Greco wrote:
> You could always mount the `/usr' filesystem on the server as readonly
> and use the `remount' option of `mount' to remount `/usr' as writeable
> during an apt upgrade.  The other option would be to export `/usr'
> readonly, i.e., in the `/etc/exports' on the server.

I was unclear in my question...  I'm definitely planning to do a read-only
export from the server.  My concern is with how apt will behave if/when run
on the workstations, where /usr will be forced to be ro by the ro export.

Many packages include files in /var, /etc, and/or other places besides /usr,
some of which (like /etc) are not well-suited to being mounted off a common
NFS directory.  Running apt seems like the most straightforward way to get
those files installed/updated, but it will also want to change things in
/usr, but be unable to do so.

--
Linux will do for applications what the Internet did for networks.
    - IBM, "Peace, Love, and Linux"