Debian with read-only /usr

I'm looking at NFS-mounting /usr for a largish number of machines, with the
basic idea that then I can just keep the binaries on the central server up-to
date and the workstations will all follow along with (hopefully) a minimum of
effort.  I'm a little concerned about apt, though...  I wouldn't expect it to
be very open-minded about /usr being read-only.  OTOH, I probably wouldn't
need to run apt very often on the workstations unless there's a change to
config file formats or an all-new package is being installed.

Any Debian-specific advice on running a setup like that?

--
Linux will do for applications what the Internet did for networks.
    - IBM, "Peace, Love, and Linux"