Re: x and console runlevels

It's really quite easy.  By default Debian boots to runlevel 2, and xdm
(or gdm, wdm, whatever is installed) is started at each runlevel.  If
you want, for example, xdm to not start at runlevel 2, just remove
/etc/rc2.d/S99xdm.  Booting (or merely switching) to runlevel 3, 4, or 5
will start xdm.  Nothing difficult, no voodoo.  Not Debian-specific,
either.

noah