Re: A SSH question.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 10:05:40AM -0700, Ray Percival wrote:
> I understand that this is not a Debian specific question but I'm
> hoping someone out there will be kind and explain this one in
> short easy to understand words. :) I'm trying to ssh into my
> Debian box on a DSL line setting behind a floppyfw based firewall.
> When I am at home I can SSH into that box from my Wife's winders
> box using Terraterm witht he ttssh stuff. Of course this is not
> going through the firewall but I know that ssh works. Now on the
> box at my house if I do this ssh -L 9000:myinternetaddress:22
> myinternaladdress It connects to WinterMute (My Debian box)
> nicely. AFAIK at that point it is going through the floppyfw based
> firewall to connect. Would that be right or do I need to do
> something else to test this.

That isn't very clear from your description. If you have a shell account
at your ISP, at work or whatever -- as long as it's outside your firewall
-- try telnetting to your ssh server port 22 from there. Or use a web-based
port scanner ( http://grc.com , http://crypto.yashy.com ) and see if port
22 is open.

> Now when I come to work and try to do
> Terraterm with the same command line options it fails. Does anyone
> know why or what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

If it's not the firewall, check hosts.allow/hosts.deny (assuming your ssh
is compiled with tcp-wrappers), xinetd.conf if you're running xinet...
I'll need more details to give you a better answer.

HTH
Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)
I'm going to exit now since you don't want me to replace the printcap. If you