Re: Booting from SCSI when there is IDE

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 10:46:31AM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> More than 3 years ago someone filed a bug report that LILO doesn't support
> booting from SCSI drives when there is an IDE drive in the system.
>
> I am not able to test this as I don't own any SCSI devices, and the person
> who originally reported the bug hasn't responded to the last email about the
> issue.
>
> Does anyone here have SCSI and IDE drives?  If so can you make it boot from
> SCSI?

Depending on the BIOS, you may be able to use this trick:

In the BIOS, disable the IDE drives.  The BIOS will boot from the SCSI
HBA.  Linux _will_ see the IDE drive and allow you to use it.  I have
one system set up this way (but it's 250 miles away from me
unfortunately).

FWIW I don't think BIOS issues qualify as a LILO bug.

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.