alsa & kernel 2.4 on potato

Hi all,

I've just updated the necessary packages and compiled kernel 2.4.2.
It seems to work fine.

There is still no sound as I'll have to install alsa first.  With
kernel 2.2 I've been using the alsa packages provided by Debian and
compiled my own alsa modules from the alsa-source package.

But potato alsa-source doesn't seem to work with kernel 2.4.  Should I
just install a fresh alsa from a non-debian-tarball or is there a
"debian way" of using alsa with kernel 2.4?

Thanks in advance,
Christoph