goin from 2.4.2 to 2.2.xx again

hi.

last week my boss saw something on linuxtoday and he installed 2.4.2 on a new
server(not
yet in production). now im going to downgrade it back to 2.2.xx. my Q is -- is
it better
to just remove the packages related to 2.4.2 and reinstall the 2.2. packages
or is
the dpkg --force-downgrade workable? i haven't checked which packages were
updated
and am uncertain(yet) as to if i can just remove them and replace them without
breaking some things inbetween(maybe they are vital or something). i would be
doing
this over a network as the server is about 5000 miles away.

he got the packages from a recent post by someone who made an apt archive for
2.4. eventually i will use 2.4 but probably won't start testing it for another
3-6 months at the earliest.

ideally i want to be able to remove all of the 2.4.x related packages, purge
them
and install 2.2.x related packages. even if the 2.4.x packages work with 2.2.x
i'd much rather stick with potato's revs as i have no need for the 2.4.x
specific
stuff (and who knows maybe i will want to boot a 2.0.x kernel :/)

thanks.

nate

--
:::