Re: goin from 2.4.2 to 2.2.xx again

> hi.
>
> last week my boss saw something on linuxtoday and he installed 2.4.2
> on a new server(not yet in production). now im going to downgrade it
> back to 2.2.xx. my Q is -- is it better to just remove the packages
> related to 2.4.2 and reinstall the 2.2. packages or is the dpkg
> --force-downgrade workable?

I would remove the 2.4.x version then install the 2.2.x version ie:

dpkg --force-depends --purge (or maybe --erase) modutils
apt-get install modutils

Just make sure you have potato entries in sources.list.  FYI there is
really only 1 package (in my experience, at least) that will need to be
added/upgraded for 2.4.x to work:

modutils

And, depending on the needs of the host:

iptables
ppp

On most of my servers only modutils will need to be/has been updated to
the modutils-2.4.x.

> i haven't checked which packages were updated and am uncertain(yet) as
> to if i can just remove them and replace them without breaking some
> things inbetween(maybe they are vital or something). i would be doing
> this over a network as the server is about 5000 miles away.

Who said anything about packages?

Just build a 2.2 kernel for the thing, put the needed files in a tarball,
scp, extract, lilo (or whatever bootloader you use), reboot.

> he got the packages from a recent post by someone who made an apt
> archive for 2.4. eventually i will use 2.4 but probably won't start
> testing it for another 3-6 months at the earliest.

Good idea.  Start testing with 2.4.3 :)  2.4.2 is great but has problems
with loopback filesystems.  That's what I would do, at least - however,
I'm not as... conservative as you are.

> ideally i want to be able to remove all of the 2.4.x related packages,
> purge them and install 2.2.x related packages. even if the 2.4.x
> packages work with 2.2.x i'd much rather stick with potato's revs as i
> have no need for the 2.4.x specific stuff (and who knows maybe i will
> want to boot a 2.0.x kernel :/)

Blasphemy! :)  Especially since 2.0.x kernels have trouble booting (or
even working) on a lot of modern hardware (ie Athlon)

- --
Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

GPG fingerprint: 9BF9 D84C 37D0 4FA7 1F2D  7E5E FD94 D264 50DE 1CFC
GPG key id: 50DE1CFC
GPG public key: http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/gpg-public-key.asc