Re: lpd network print prob

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 10:28:03AM -0600, Matthew Bryant Baxa wrote:
> Hello all.  I have been struggling with this problem and looking back in the archives, I havn't been able to find an answer.  On a local network, we are using lpd to handle printing to remote printers.  Unfortunatly it is broken somehow.
>
> When I spool jobs to the printer, the are inserted into the queue fine, but when I use lpq or lpc status on the printer it gives me:
>
>      milo: waiting for hllj4 to come up
>      Rank .....
>
>      connection to hllj4 is down
>
> I have killed and restarted lpd, cleared the queues, power cycled the printer, and still nothing!  If anyone has any ideas, I would be much appreciative.

Ok here is more info:
/etc/printcap

   lp|hl|HEP_Linux:\
	:lp=:\
	:mx#0:\
	:rm=hllj4:\
	:rp=raw:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote/CW42

This is a remote laserjet that sits on a HP JetDirect box that plugs into the network.  There is an entry in hosts for hllj4 that points to the right IP address.
---
Matthew Baxa
http://www.cis.ksu.edu/~mbb1810/