Re: Accented chars are replaced by ?'s

on Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 09:01:12AM +0100, franck routier (f.routier@wanadoo.fr) wrote:

> Le mar, 13 mar 2001 08:52:57, kmself@ix.netcom.com a écrit :
> > on Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 08:37:49AM +0100, franck routier

> > and
> > >
> > > Yes I did, ie I uncommented french locales (fr8FR ISO-8859-1 and
> > > ISO-8859-15 with euro) in /etc/locale.gen, ran locale-gen.
> > > Everything went fine.
> > > I didn't touch /etc/locale.alias, but it seems to be ok. I just wonder
> > if I
> > > should alias french and français to ISO-8859-15 (instead of ISO-8859-1)
> > > get euro in most places ??
> > >
> > > Might my problem come from the installation of fonts ?
> >
> > Sorry.  You'd done the above before or after my post?  Is the problem
> > resolved or not?
>
> Oh... excuse me... I did it before, but double checked it after your
> message. And no, it doesn't worK :-(

You mentioned specifically gnome-terminal.  Do the characters display
correctly elsewhere -- say, xterm, rxvt, or the system console?

If gnome-terminal is the odd man out, I'd start focussing on it.  Fonts?
Hmmm...yeah, what are your font settings for gnome-terminal and sawfish
window titles/decorations?  Do these charactersets have the accented
characters you need?