Some Help needed regarding sound

Yesterday I installed Debian Potato 2.2r2 on my 300MHz celeron/64Mb system.
While installing I selected the OSS modules etc. which seemed relevant,
after installing I did not run any sound configuration program. ( I have
downloaded sndconfig deb but haven't installed it yet )
The real problem is that when I try to run gnome with exec gnome-session in
my .xinitrc it exists with
/dev/dsp device not found error
Now can someone help me removing this error
I have already used RedHat for 2 and 1/2 years now
So I am not a newbie to linux but I am using debian for the first time

Thanking u all in advance,

Yogeshwar Padhyegurjar