ProFTPd and Passive mode weirdness.

I have two Potato boxes, upgraded to 2.2r2. Both of them are running proftpd 1.2.0pre10-2 with the same config file.
Now, the problem is:

The first server's ftp can be reached without problem from everywhere, even from behind a firewall or an ip-masq machine.
However the second one needs to have clients working in passive mode if they are behind a firewall or an ip-masq machine.

This is weird to begin with. Anyway, I downloaded proftpd 1.2.1 which is supposed to correct the passive mode stuff and it still don't work.

Anybody have any ideas about what could be causing this?

I am not subscribed to the proftpd list so please cc me.
--
Daniel de los Reyes