Re: What is Passive mode anyway?

Hi Daniel!

Passive mode means that the server behaves passively.

Traffic to an ftp server works as follows:

Client (Port 1024-65535) initiates a connection to Server (usually port
21, but cinfigurable)
Now:

active: Server opens a data connection (backwards) from Port 20 to
client (1024-65535)
OR:
passive: Client opens data connection (from port 1024-65535) to server
(port 1024-65535).

That means in passive mode all connections are initiated from the cliend
inside the firewall. Often, firewalls don´t allow any incoming
connections (i.e. the SYN-bit may not be set).