Re: default route by wvdial not set after temporary eth0-access (woody)

Quoting Helge Kreutzmann (kreutzm@itp.uni-hannover.de):

> I had potato on my machine until recently. To upgrade, I took my
> machine to work, edited /etc/networks/interface to use eth0 (instead
> of the ppp-link I ordinary use) and upgraded to woody.
>
> Now at home I want to use the ppp-link again. Unfortunately after
> wvdial I have to add the ppp-route manually
>
> route add default gw IP_I_GOT_FROM_WVDIAL
>
> I am pretty sure I did not have a route in my interface file before
> (though during eth0-access I had one) and I reverted all changes in my
> files in /etc back to what they were before (I had a temporary static
> id, different domainname). I tried to understand where wvdial sets (or
> should set) the route but not to avail.
>
> Where do I tell wvdial to automatically set the route ?

I'm not sure you can. pppd should add the default route automatically
or emit the message "ppp not replacing existing default route to eth0"
if it can't.

You might try (1) /sbin/route -n before you run wvdial to see if you
indeed have a default route set already and (2)
cd /etc
rgrep -r 123.456.789.012 *
where    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   is the default route given by (1),
in order to see where it's getting set.

Cheers,