Re: gdm login

Keith Johnson wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 11:07:42PM -0600, Benjamin Pharr wrote:
> > I just did a fresh install of woody and ximian gnome on my
> > laptop.  Everything seems to be working fine, but when I try to login using
> > gdm it goes black like it's going into X and then goes right back to
> > gdm.  No errors of any kind appear.  I've checked all the logs including
> > the .xsession-errors in my home directory.  I can switch to a virtual
> > console and log in just fine.  Any ideas on what the problem might be?  Thanks!
>
> <Non authoritative answer>
>
> Try killing gdm, then starting the x-server with startx from the
> console. That might point you in the right direction in what is
> screwing up.
>
> Also, make sure you are not starting anything in .Xresources that is
> exiting, the server will shutdown when when it (meaning the anything)
> does. (don't know why)

I've had a similar problem with gdm, on my home machine, and I did the
same thing, just killed gdm and have been logging in using startx. I
haven't
had the time to investigate further, and since it came up after a small
update
(some vim stuff that resulted in the update of other files, all in
unstable),
I'm guessing it had something to do with the update. At first I thought
it was
a password problem, but that seems not to be the case, and with others
reporting
it, wonder if we somehow all hit an update "window" that caused the
problem.
There is nothing obvious in the log files, at least not obvious to me!