Re: Booting past 1024?

Peter Welte wrote:

> Hey...
>  im installing Debian on a system that has a 30 GB
> hard drive, and the first 10 GB is used by NTFS (which
> i cant delete).  If i install Debian past 8 GB, and
> lilo on the mbr, is it true that lilo wont be able to
> start linux?
>   if so... i can still make a /boot on the first part
> of the hard drive, right? (by specifying [Beginning]
> durring the debian install)?

If your BIOS supports large hard drives, then you may use lilo's
'linear' or 'lba32' option to enable use of the drive.  These options
are mutually exclusive.

I'm running potato, and 'man lilo.conf' doesn't provide information
about the lba32 option.  You can find out more by reading the lilo
manual, though.  This is probably in /usr/share/doc/lilo.  This is a
good document to read anyway if you'd like to know how disk partitioning
and addressing works.

You shouldn't need to make /boot in it's own partition.  If you specify
'beginning', as you say, when creating the a /boot partition, it will be
created at the beginning of the as-of-yet unpartitioned space.  Which is
what you'd want.  Otherwise you'd be overwriting your existing NTFS
partition.  This might have its advantages, but I'm guessing that's not
what you want to do.

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager