Re: Booting past 1024?

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 09:48:35AM -0800, Peter Welte wrote:
> Hey...
>  im installing Debian on a system that has a 30 GB
> hard drive, and the first 10 GB is used by NTFS (which
> i cant delete).  If i install Debian past 8 GB, and
> lilo on the mbr, is it true that lilo wont be able to
> start linux?

No, it isn't always true. Have a look at "linear" and "lba32"
options in lilo docs. They work on some bioses and don't work
on others... I don't know of any way to tell if it'll work for
you.

On my home box / is above 1024th cylinder, lilo is installed on
_partition_ and NT loader boots linux (there's a howto on that).
It works just fine, the only problem is to remember to copy over
new boot sector after rebuilding the kernel.

>   if so... i can still make a /boot on the first part
> of the hard drive, right? (by specifying [Beginning]
> durring the debian install)?

If there's free space in the beginning.

HTH
Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)
I'm going to exit now since you don't want me to replace the printcap. If you