Re: exim filters

on Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 06:38:54PM +0100, benalb@escomposlinux.org (benalb@escomposlinux.org) wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   I'm trying the exim interface to mail filtering, and, I
>   have sent about five messages to this list. I'm so sorry.
>
>   The filter I'm trying is this:
>
> if personal and
>    $h_from contains "yahoo" or
>    $h_from contains "aol.com" or
>    $h_from contains "hotmail" or
>    $h_from contains "mixmail"
> then
>    mail
>       to $reply_address
>       subject "Re: $h_subject:"
>       file $home/mail/.message
>    save $home/mail/filtrados
> endif
>
>   ¿what am I doing wrong, besides spam this list?

If you're trying to send a vacation message, your MTA is the wrong place
to do it.

If you're having this much trouble, I'd *strongly* recommend you *not*
set up an autoresponder of *any* kind.  They're all sorts of trouble (I
know, I've set them up, and burned myself for it).

If you want to spend the week or two it takes to start understanding
procmail (and the month or two it takes to stop shooting yourself in the
foot with it), there are a number of procmail filters and recipies
available (most of which aim large caliber tactical nukes at your feet,
so I *won't* recommend any of them).

It is possible to set up a vacation message, it's unfortunately a rather
nontrivial task.  Getting it wrong can turn you into an annoyance for a
great many people, get you kicked off of mailing lists, put you into hot
water with your ISP, and possibly cost you your network connection
(again, I speak from experience).

Take your vacation, and deal with your email when you return.