Re: Testing wants to remove most of my system...

on Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 05:17:15PM +1100, Damon Muller (dm-debian-user@empire.net.au) wrote:
> Quoth Joey Hess,
>
> > It's impossible to tell what you're running into since you didn't bother
> > to post the actual apt message or any useful diagnostic information, but
> > you might try removing base-config.
>
> Sorry, didn't include the (quite long) output previously on the off chance
> that it was something simple/obvious. The full apt-get output is included
> below.
>
> [rei:~]% sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Calculating Upgrade... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   a2ps acct adduser alien arts auctex balsa bonobo bsdmainutils bubblemon

<lots snipped>

>   libperl5.6 perl perl-5.6 perl-modules
> The following packages have been kept back
>   fetchmail kernel-image-2.2.17
> The following packages will be upgraded
>   acroread bsdutils catdoc cron debian-policy diff docbook-stylesheets eperl
>   fftw2 file groff hdparm ibritish ispell libhdf4g libio-stringy-perl
>   libmime-base64-perl libmime-perl libmldbm-perl libstringlist0
>   libtimedate-perl libxml-dev libxml1 mlock mount mutt net-tools oidentd pdksh
>   perl-5.005-base perl-base shellutils ssystem stat sudo tcsh tcsh-i18n unhtml
>   untex util-linux w3m wavtools wenglish xdaliclock xnetload
> 45 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 248 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
> 2 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 19.0MB of archives. After unpacking 528MB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Hmmm...

Any chance you've got aptitude installed?  Is there a common dependency
or conflict that several of the to-be-removed files share?  Do you have
an old(er) version of your system package status file you can recover
to?

I just checked what my unstable system wants to do on a dist-upgrade
(not positive if I'd updated yet tonight, re-running that right now...).
OK, it's still relatively sane:

    [root@navel:/root]$ apt-get dist-upgrade -s | less
    Reading Package Lists...
    Building Dependency Tree...
    libgtkhtml-data libgtkhtml7
    The following packages have been kept back
    distributed-net mutt tkstep8.0 xfs-xtt xlibosmesa3
    21 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5  not
    upgraded.
    81 packages not fully installed or removed.

...you try another apt-get update to see if that cleans up anything?

If you do have a corrupted dpkg archive, what's the recommended
procedure for clearing that up, anyone?