Re: Email client and conversion from Netscape Mail on win32

on Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 05:33:34PM -0800, Mike Fedyk (mfedyk@matchmail.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not on the debian-user list, so please cc me as well as the
> list...
>
> I have been using netscape mail for several years on winblows, and
> have over 50 folders and even more filters.  I have been getting about
> 10,000 messages a month, and now that I'm a LKML reader, it's gone
> even higher.  So, threading support is very important to me.  So is
> mail filtering, weather it's with a separate package or not doesn't
> matter.
>
> Now, here's the problem.  I want to convert my email activities over
> to linux.  So, I may as well drop netscape at the same time, if I can.
> I would like to be able to read html mail also. I've looked at a
> couple in the last half hour, and here's what I've come across in
> potato-r2.

First:  consider sticking with Netscape, at least initially, while
you're converting.  It's one less degree of freedom in the transition.
While I generally despise Netscape, and like its mail even less, this
will leave your mail environment largely unchanged.  Netscape uses the
same file format on Legacy MS Windows and GNU/Linux.  The format (mbox)
is compatible with mutt, elm, and other mailers.  You can convert over
at any later time.

> elm+me:
> this looks pretty good, and it seems to have html viewing.  Though, I
> didn't see any threading features.

elm is a very basic mail client.  You can do better.

> mutt: didn't look very much, so don't know.

Look again, hard.  Mutt rocks.  It does everything you want and more,
plus it doesn't fall over.  Very strongly recommended.  The hardest part
with mutt is finding a good .muttrc.  I really should post mine to my
website....

Skipping your other options as I'm unfamiliar.  Others have mentioned
emacs clients.  If you're familiar and comfortable with emacs, this is
probably another good way to fly.  Very powerful, though you inheret a
religion with the mailer/editor/kitchen sink.