Re: Testing wants to remove most of my system...

Damon Muller <dm-debian-user@empire.net.au> wrote:
>I've been tracking testing, but only sporadically. It's probably 2 weeks
>or so since I last did an upgrade.
>
>When I attempted it today (using dist-upgrade), it looked like apt
>wanted to remove most of my system.

If you get mad dist-upgrade problems - use dselect or an apt frontend.
Seriously. Usually it's one or two single conflicts, and spending two
minutes sorting it out by hand will save you a great deal of effort
later.

Of course, dist-upgrades should be possible by the time woody goes
stable, so make sure a bug report's been filed.

(Recently, 'apt-get install perl' has occasionally helped matters, but
I'm not sure what the exact problem is here. Joey's advice is probably
better-informed.)