From: Hall Stevenson [mailto:hallstevenson@mindspring.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 2:04 PM
To: Debian User List
Subject: Re: After Debian install, XMS and HIMEM errors prevent Win95
launch.

> >   Error: "HIMEM.SYS is missing..." or "Error: Unable to
> > control A20 line..." After Installing Norton SystemWorks
>
> Very odd.  I have that same problem on my laptop (Win98
> & sid). However, on mine it isn't merely after installation, but
> it happens all the time.  Windows refuses to run except on
> a hard reboot.

Here's a couple of "articles" from Microsoft's KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q96/7/11.ASP?LN=EN-US&S
D=gn&FR=0&qry=unable%20to%20control%20a20%20line&rnk=4&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn
_SRCH&SPR=MSALL

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q73/7/13.ASP?LN=EN-US&S
D=gn&FR=0&qry=unable%20to%20control%20a20%20line&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn
_SRCH&SPR=MSALL
(that one mentions disabling a setting in the BIOS...)

Regards
Hall