Re: Trouble with sound

Wouter Eerdekens <retuow@xs4all.be> writes:

> when I do
>
> $ ls /dev/dsp
>
> I get
>
> crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,    3 Jul  5  2000 /dev/dsp
>
> but when I want to play a Quiktime movie (shit happens...) with
> gxamin, I get the following error:
>
> Can't Open /dev/dsp device
>
> How should I set the permissions on /dev/dsp then?

Your settings are perfectly fine, especially if you're a member of
audio.

> I am a member of the following groups:
>
> users, disk and audio
>
> (The soundcard I have installed is a SoundBlaster 128PCI, module es1370.o)

I used to use that one, too :-).

It looks again like an esd problem. gxanim may try to open /dev/dsp
directly while esd already opened it? If so, you might want to try
`esddsp gxanim`. Here esddsp tries to reroute /dev/dsp read/writes to
esd.

--
Tschoe,                    Get my gpg-public-key here
 Jens                     http://gecius.de/gpg-key.txt