Trouble with sound

Hi,

I'm new to the mailinglist. Sorry if something like this has been discussed earlier...

I'm having a strange (at least to me) problem with my soundcard & Potato:

First my Setup:

 - Potato (Debian GNU/Linux 2.2r0)
 - libc6 from the testing distribution, along with it's dependencies
 - Ximian GNOME 1.2

My problem:

 - when I want to play an MP3 or other sound file in GNOME, my audio player
   hangs completely (xmms, mpg123, wavp, ...)
 - when I stop the GNOME Display Manager, I can play any file I want ??

Thanx,

Wouter Eerdekens

-------
"An innovation a day keeps the Monopolist away"
 -- Alan Cox, kernel hacker