Re: Anacron schedule

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 11:10:56PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001 15:58:10 -0600, Judith Elaine Bush said:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 09:12:33PM +0100, Erdmut Pfeifer wrote:
> >  >
> >  > as there is /etc/crontab for cron, there is a /etc/anacrontab for anacron.
> >
> >  Indeed. Except the /etc/anacron specifies frequency (how many days
> >  apart should something be done) and delay (how long after anacron is
> >  invoked shoud something be done). The /etc/anachron file does *not*
> >  run anacron just after 7 am every morning.
> >
> >  > The suggested "test -x ..." lines in crontab are just to disable those
> >  > entries temporarily while anacron is installed. This way, if you decide
> >
> >  So, /etc/crontab is NOT where anacron is invoked. Somehow anacron is
> >  invoked around 7 am each day. If it's not in /etc/crontab, where is
> >  it?
>
> /etc/anacrontab
>
> see 'man anacrontab' for details
>

>From the man page:

       The  file /etc/anacrontab describes the jobs controlled by
       anacron(8).  Its  lines  can  be  of  three  kinds:   job-
       description   lines,  environment  assignments,  or  empty
       lines.

       Job-description lines are of the form:

          period  delay  job-identifier  command

So, anacrontab does NOT schedule the running of anacron. I repeat,
somehow anacron is invoked around 7 am each day. If it's not in
/etc/crontab, where is it?

judith