Re: Who can recommend me a news reader?

On 20010305 17:57 +0100, Stephen Rueger wrote:
> Has anyone a recommendation for a console-news reader that looks as
> much as possible like slrn or mutt, but caches the subjects?

I use mutt 1.3.15i with nntp-patch. You can get it for example at
<http://packman.links2linux.de/index.php4?action=045>, a .deb is at
<ftp://ftp.links2linux.de>. Be sure to also grab the associated perl
nntp client (see the first link), and install it for example as
"/usr/local/lib/site_perl/News/NNTPClient.pm". When you've installed the
.deb, do "chgrp mail /usr/bin/mutt_dotlock; chmod 2755
/usr/bin/mutt_dotlock" after the installation.

Use "i" to get the news. It works fine, unless you try to retrieve an
article and the connection is lost (e.g. ppp finished meanwhile). Mutt
hangs in this case and has to be killed.

Andre Berger                                [andre.berger@topmail.de]